NICOLE Clement, the female police officer accused in the killing of three people in Moruga last year, will now be testifying against the six male police officers with whom she was jointly charged.
The murder charges against Constable Clement were discontinued on Wednesday, hours after she and the other defendants appeared before Princes Town Magistrate Margaret Alert.
At around 3 p.m. that day, Clement was taken before Magistrate Alert and had the charge of conspiring to pervert the course of justice read to her.
The charge was laid following instructions from the Director of Public Prosecutions, Roger Gaspard.
Clement was placed on $100,000 bail.
She is now in the Justice Protection Programme and is being kept at a safe house.
Clement was charged last November, along with Acting Sargeant Khemraj Sahadeo, Constables Renaldo Reviero, Glenn Singh, Roger Nicholas, Safraz Juman and Antonio Ramadin.
At the time, her baby was nine months old.
The seven defendants, members of the Southern Division Robbery Squad, were charged with killing Moruga residents Abigail Johnson, Allana Duncan and Kerron "Fingers" Eccles. The three were shot and killed in Rochard Douglas Road, Barrackpore, on the night of July 22, 2011.
Over the past months, Clement has been involved in several incidents, including collapsing in court while the murder charge was being read and being unable to attend court after being injured while being transported to the courthouse. On that day, Clement was also said to be vomiting, had diarrhoea and was "on drips".
Two months after charges were laid against the seven, Senior Counsel Israel Khan, who is representing the six male accused, asked if the State planned on having Clement become a State witness.
Senior Magistrate Debra Quintyne said the question should be directed to Gaspard, but he was absent from court on that day.
On Tuesday, Gaspard said 15 prosecution witnesses were in court, ready to give evidence in the murder enquiry.
But Alert said Magistrate Debra Quintyne, who was set to hear the case, was ill. The matter was adjourned to July 9.
Clement was told to return to court on September 3.