A family of eight lost their home in a fire at Friendsfield, Tobago, on Sunday. Damage has been estimated at $1.3 million.
Schoolbooks, computers and clothing all went up in flames.
Fire Service officials said the fire started shortly before 9 p.m. in one of the bedrooms located downstairs the two-storey building.
One occupant of the home, Charmaine Holder-George, who was shocked at what happened, said, “My niece called me and told me the house was on fire. When we reached there it was already engulfed and nothing was saved. There was no water in the pipes at the time and another source of water had to be located. While some were filling buckets, I was throwing the water,” she said.
Neighbours also helped, but to no avail.
Public relations officer of the Fire Service David Thomas said, according to investigations, the fire started in one of the downstairs bedrooms located on the western side of the house.
He said the source, point, and origin of the blaze had been established, but further details remain classified at this time.
The family is now pleading for assistance. Holder-George said the children who once lived at the house range in ages from two to ten years. One child is preparing for the Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA) examination.
“We need clothes and materials like groceries for us and that sort of thing, until we get back on our feet, and I just want to thank all the neighbours who came to help us with the bucket brigade. I wish to thank them in a special way.”
Anyone wishing to help this family can call 379-2952.