Saturday, February 17, 2018

Fireman killed in accident

A 29-year-old fireman died early yesterday morning when the car he was in was hit from behind, which caused it to flip over several times and then burst into flames along Churchill-Roosevelt Highway.

The accident occurred at 1.15 a.m. near Prison Services sport club ground in the Golden Grove, Arouca area.

Police said that around that time the victim, Kwesi Quashie, of Oropouche Road in Sangre Grande, was in the back seat of a black coloured Nissan B-14 Sentra which was being driven by his cousin, Qumi Quashie, also of Oropouche Road, Sangre Grande, while in the front passenger seat was another man, Keon Woodley from Fyzabad.

Quashie was a fire officer and worked at the Sangre Grande Fire Station.

According to relatives of the Quashies, the three men were heading to Ariapita Avenue, Woodbrook for a lime.

The police said while the trio were heading west along Churchill-Roosevelt Highway they were struck on the side by another car.

Qumi Quashie lost control of the Sentra, which spun around in the road several times, then slammed into the median that divides the eastbound lane from the westbound lane and flipped over into the eastbound lane.

Kwesi Quashie was thrown out of the car and was killed instantly.

The car then burst into flames.

Woodley managed to crawl out the vehicle dragging Qumi with him. Qumi Quashie received first and second degree burns to both his legs and right arm.

The driver of the other car involved continued heading west and never stopped, according to the police.

Several other motorists stopped and gave the two survivors assistance while others called an ambulance.

Both Qumi Quashie and Woodley were taken to Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex where they were treated. Quashie remained at the hospital up to press time last night.

The police, led by Supt David Abraham along with Inspector Williams, also arrived on the scene where they conducted enquiries, but no-one was able to say what was the colour, make or registration number of the car that hit the Sentra.

A District Medical Officer also arrived on the scene and ordered Quashie's body removed to the Port of Spain Mortuary.

Police said that both Qumi Quashie and the driver of the other car may have been driving a bit fast that morning.

Kwesi Quashie was the 129th road fatality this year.