Thursday, January 18, 2018

Freed from Death Row, killed by cops

...Anthony Amogan was a suspect in several murders


Killed by cops: Anthony Amogan

Donstan Bonn

FORMER Death Row inmate Anthony Amogam, freed two years ago after a judge found that the delay in completing his case was unjustified, was shot dead by police today at La Paille Village, Caroni.

According to police, a party of police officers of the Chaguanas CID and Central Division went to Amogan's house at Diamond Avenue to search his house for firearms and ammunition.

Police said they were turned up at the house, they greeted by gunfire.

Officers returned fire and Amogan was killed. A nine millmetre pistol loaded with six rounds of ammunition was recovered at the crime scene, police said.

Police said Amogan, 43, was a suspect in the recent murder of nightwatchman Michael Heeralal, who was shot dead outside his home, and other homicides in the Central Division.

Amogan was freed by Justice Malcolm Holdip who ruled on December 14, 2012 that a delay of almost 16 years for his murder trial to be completed, could not be justified.

Amogan, a baker and cake decorator, was allowed to go home.

The Express reported then that after emerging from the Hall of Justice, Amogan thanked his attorney Daniel Khan for taking up the matter when several other attorneys appointed by the Legal Aid and Advisory Authority (LAAA) returned the brief.

"I am very grateful to God for being a free man today," Amogan had said. "It was not easy. The experience was very hard. They are not really doing anything to enhance the situation at all."

Asked about his view of the justice system in light of his lengthy incarceration, Armogan, who lived at Frederick Settlement, Caroni, said the wheels of justice are moving too slowly.

"There are persons in prison today who are suffering because of delays caused by the prosecution always making excuses. There was no need for that. They could have done this case expeditiously just how they did for (Ishwar) Galbaransingh and (Steve) Ferguson and them".

Amogan said he is looking forward to putting the past behind him and moving on with his life. He is hoping to be able to rekindle the relationship he once had with his son and three daughters.

Amogan and another man were charged on March 12, 1997 for the murder of Ramcoomar Ramoutar which occurred on February 22, 1997. They were committed to stand trial on July 16, 1999 and an indictment was filed on September 19, 2000. Their first trial began on October 8, 2001 but was aborted on October 9, 2001.

The second trial was held between March 18 to May 29, 2003 and Amogan and another man were found guilty and were sentence by Justice Prakash Moosai to suffer death by hanging. The notes of evidence became available on April 27, 2006 and the men successfully appealed the conviction and sentence.

A retrial was ordered on December 15, 2006 and the matter was placed on a Cause List hearing for February 12, 2007.

Their attorneys filed an application seeking to have the indictments quashed on the basis of delay.

(multimedia Desk -