Thursday, December 14, 2017

Fuad: Probe will find any negligence in baby’s death

A preliminary autopsy report has found the head of a baby was cut, pen­etrating the brain and damaging tissue during a Caesarean section at the Mt Hope Women’s Hospital. 

Emil Millington had pleaded for answers as to how his son, whom he would have named Simeon, died during the C-section.

Millington’s wife, Quelly Ann Cottle, 38, went to the Mt Hope Women’s Hospital last Saturday to have the surgery performed, and she was later told by nurses her baby died and there was a cut to his head, from ear to ear.

Chairman of the North-Central Regional Health Authority (NCRHA) Dr Shehenaz Mohammed had reques­ted a preliminary report into the matter.

That report was delivered yesterday, and Mohammed immediately launched an independent investigation.

A release issued by the NCRHA yesterday stated the preliminary autopsy report found laceration to right parietal lobe of brain, penetrating injury to right parietal bone, iatrogenic laceration to scalp and severe prematurity.

A doctor who preferred anonymity told the Express this meant the surgeon would have cut into the baby’s head near the ear area and pene­trated the brain. 

“The knife would have cut straight through and injured the brain of the baby, the lobe and tissue,” said the doctor.

The NCRHA stated a prompt decision has been made by the board to conduct an independent investigation and a full report would be immediately forwarded to Health Min­ister Dr Fuad Khan.

The release added counselling has been provided to the parents, and the board and management reaffirmed their commitment to continue to provide this support.

The NCRHA board and management also extended its condolences to the parents and relatives over the death of the baby boy.

Speaking to the Express by phone, Mohammed said the matter would not be swept under the carpet.

“We make a commitment to the parents and the public that an independent investigation will take place, and we remain committed to the fa­mily to provide whatever support they need,” she said.

Khan told the Express he received a copy of the preliminary autopsy report and has requested further information from Mohammed.

Khan questioned why was an elective Cesarean performed on a Carnival Saturday and where was the consultant and senior staff.

“I will be reporting to the medical board if I do find any form of negligence,” said Khan.

He said there was a question of both administrative and medical ne­gligence and this will be determined by the investigation.

Khan said papers have been written about lacerations during a Caesarean section, which range from moderate, mild and severe.

He noted this was a case where the baby was very premature.

“I am not going to absolve anybo­dy right now, I want to know who was the consultant in charge and why was this case done as an elective surgery on Carnival Saturday,” said Khan.

Millington told the Express he and his wife were overwhelmed when the autopsy report was given to them yesterday at Mt Hope.

“I really don’t know what to think or say. I told the counsellor at the time I didn’t need counselling; I need to go to an anger-management course and then maybe deal with the counselling part,” said Millington.

He said he hopes whoever was responsible would be held accountable.

Millington said his baby’s body was now at a funeral home, and a decision will be taken as to when a funeral will be held.