Sunday, February 25, 2018

Gang leader's brother gunned down

Mom: He crossed the border

WITH seven murders between Friday night and Sunday evening, the Forensic Science Centre in Federation Park was packed yesterday with family and friends of the casualties of what the police described as a very bloody weekend.

Up to Sunday (February 17), there were 59 murders for the 48-day period in 2013, while at the same time last year, 58 people had been murdered.

Among those killed last weekend was Marvin Guerra, younger brother of notorious gang leader, Mark Guerra, who was murdered at Wallerfield in March 2003.

Thirty-three-year-old Marvin Guerra lived at Rodney Street, Laventille, and on Sunday evening he walked over to St Paul Street—which is not far from Rodney Street—and was ambushed and shot dead for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"He used to encourage children from around the area to play football and one week ago he even bought equipment and supplies to start a league in his neighbourhood," said his mother at the Forensic Centre yesterday.

"He was not in any gang thing, just a cool, outgoing person, but it was just that he crossed the border and they gun him down," she stated.

The others adding to this year's murder toll were: Kevin "Stumpy" Thomas, Terry Gill, Ronald Nurse, Brent Delcon, Marlon Bradshaw and Sherman Toussaint.

Two of the killings took place in Longdenville, Chaguanas; two more along St Paul Street, East Dry River, Port of Spain; while the other three were in Arima, Maloney and Cocorite.

In the weekend's first incident, Thomas, of Upper Quarry Street, Diego Martin, was at the car park of an apartment complex at St Paul Street around 7.45 p.m. on Friday when residents reported hearing gunshots.

A team of officers from the Port of Spain Criminal Investigations Department (CID), led by ASP Ajith Persad along with Sgt Henry and Cpl Budrie, visited the scene and found Thomas dead.

None of his relatives wanted to speak to reporters yesterday.

Around 8 p.m. on Friday, the second murder occurred, at Lamont Street, Longdenville.

Gill, aged 29, was at his home with his wife when he answered a pounding at his door.

He opened the door and was shot five times to his chest and was pronounced dead on arrival at the Chaguanas Health Centre.

When his relatives were questioned by reporters at "Forensics" on Monday, they walked away briskly, saying they had no comment.

Gill's murder was described by police as drug-related.

The third fatality occurred in Arima.

Delcon, of Seyjagat Trace, Cocorite Road, was walking along the road close to his home around 7.30 p.m. on Saturday when he was approached by a gunman.

The assailant opened fire, hitting him several times about the body before escaping.

Delcon's wife found her husband lying on the road with bullet wounds about the body. He was taken to Arima District Hospital, but was pronounced dead on arrival.

His family also did not want to speak to reporters outside the Forensic Centre.

The fourth murder occurred three hours later on Saturday.

The victim was Bradshaw, 41, of Swan Lane, Maloney.

At 11.30 p.m., he was in the process of opening a door to enter his home when a black car pulled up close by and the occupants opened fire on him.

His relatives said they did not know why someone wanted him dead as he was a good man and good father.

"He was a cool fella who tried to help who he can help and he was the kind of man who made sure that his children were provided for," said one of his relatives, who did not want to be named.

He said Bradshaw had just gotten back to his Maloney home after spending almost the entire day with his only daughter. He had six more children, all boys.

As Bradshaw arrived home he was pounced on by one of the gunmen, following which two others ran up to him and shot him as he slumped to the ground. He died on the spot and the police are yet to arrive at a motive behind his death.

As the killings continued into Sunday, 24-year-old Nurse was next. Around 3.45 a.m., he was stabbed to death after a fight at Traxx Bar on Railway Road, Chaguanas.

After the fight, police said, Nurse walked out the bar and was confronted by the man he had fought with and who had armed himself with a knife.

The man ran up to Nurse and stabbed him several times about the body.

Nurse ran a short distance toward the Chaguanas Police Station but collapsed and died along the roadway.

At "Forensics" yesterday, his mother, Marva Nurse, said although he was not perfect, "He was always there for his family and he loved his daughter even more. He really adored her."

"Now he has left his four-year-old daughter behind," said Nurse.

A suspect is in custody.

Next on the death list was Toussaint.

Shortly before 5 p.m. Sunday, Toussaint, of Harding Place, Cocorite, was shot dead close to his home.

Residents reported hearing five loud explosions before finding Toussaint lying dead in the road.

His relatives had no comment for reporters yesterday.

The final incident over the weekend, occurred around 5.30 p.m. on Sunday with the shooting death of Guerra, the seventh victim of a bloody weekend.