Thursday, February 22, 2018

Girl, 5, saved from fire

...Residents form bucket brigade

THE screams of a five-year-old girl trapped alone in a burning house  in Las Lomas brought together residents who risked their lives to rescue the child on Wednesday night. 

The child was saved, but suffered burns to the right elbow, and smoke inhalation. One of her rescuers, whose name was given only as “Anil”, was also overcome by the effect of smoke inhalation. 

Both were treated at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope. 

The child was kept for observation while her rescuer was treated and discharged. 

According to police, the child was left in the care of her grandmother, while her parents were at work. Police were told that the grandmother locked the apartment with the child inside and left the premises. 

An off-duty police officer who lives next door to the apartment heard screaming and looked out to see smoke coming from the apartment.  He contacted the Las Lomas Police Station and Fire Services and raised an alarm as he ran towards the burning apartment. 

A bucket brigade was formed by residents who also attempted to break down burglar-proofing on the windows. When that proved unsuccessful, they smashed a hole in a wall, and “Anil” entered with the assistance of a police officer and brought the child to safety. 

Fire officers extinguished the blaze which gutted the entire apartment. 

A 55-year-old woman arrived at the scene later and was questioned by police officers.