Gopeesingh: It’s my son
Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh yesterday confirmed that the man depicted in a video assaulting a man with a cutlass is his son.
Speaking at the laptop distribution ceremony at St Mary's College, Port of Spain, Gopeesingh admitted, when approached by TV6, that it was his son, but would not say any more as the matter is engaging the attention of the police.
At the Police Service's weekly press briefing yesterday, public information officer Sgt Wayne Mystar said an officer attached to the Woodbrook Police Station, where the report was made, has been appointed to investigate the matter.
Asked if Gopeesingh or his son had been interviewed, Mystar said no.
The victim, 56-year-old Gregory Wight, claims he was dealt two blows across the left and right legs on September 19 after Wight asked the man to turn off his vehicle as the diesel exhaust was disturbing patrons at the doubles stand outside Brooklyn Bar in Woodbrook.
The incident was caught on tape by security cameras mounted on a nearby business place near the doubles stand.