Sunday, February 18, 2018

Grieving parents call for probe

3-day-old baby dies at hospital...


WHAT HAPPENED?: Baby Akilon’s parents Akil Glasgow and Nikeisha Henry outside the Point Fortin Police Station yesterday. –Photo: INNIS FRANCIS

Mark Fraser

The parents of a three-day-old baby boy who was pronounced dead at the Point Fortin District Hospital on Monday are calling on Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan to launch an investigation into their son’s death.

Baby Akilon Glasgow was taken to the facility after he was found unresponsive by his mother around 2 p.m.

Nikeisha Henry, 27, said she visited the Point Fortin District Hospital the day before as she was concerned about her son’s discoloured skin. Baby Akilon was her only child.

“I told the nurse that I was concerned about the yellowish colour on my son’s skin. She said don’t worry about it, she said it will clear up. I also told her that my son was not breast-feeding properly and she gave me a baby formula and told me to try it,” she said.

Henry, a market vendor, said the next day she gave her son a bottle, burped him and put him to bed. “I was checking him every two hours. Around 2 p.m. I went to check on him and he was not waking up. I rush him to the hospital. An hour later he was pronounced dead,” she said.

Henry’s boyfriend, Akil Glasgow, said he believes his son’s death could have been prevented. “I thought they could have done more. It was a newborn baby and new parents. I feel they should have keep him and observe him,” he said.

Glasgow, who has two other children, said Henry had no complications during her pregnancy and delivery. He said his baby was given a clean bill of health and the mother and baby were discharged from hospital last Saturday.

Glasgow, a barber, said, “The day after we came home from the hospital a friend who is a nurse came to see the baby. She said the baby’s skin was looking yellowish and we should take him to the hospital for a check-up. On arrival we see the head nurse and she told us everything was okay. She say the yellow skin was because of the newborn...he will eventually grow into it,” he said.

The baby’s body was removed to the San Fernando mortuary, where an autopsy will be performed today.

“I am waiting on the results of the autopsy to determine what my next move would be. There is nothing that can compensate us for this loss. We just want to know what caused our baby’s death and whether the hospital was negligent in sending the baby home when we went for help on Sunday,” Glasgow said.

He asked that the Health Minister investigate why so many of the nation’s children were being allowed to die. “I want the Minister to intervene and find out what is going on. So many children are dying. Why did my son die?” he said.

Henry said she was excited to welcome her first child and bought everything he would need to be comfortable. She said the loss of a child was unbearable. “We just want to know what happened to our baby and how he died,” she said.

WPC Mayers of the Point Fortin Police Station is continuing investigations.