Group calls again for Warner to step down
The Constitution Reform Forum (CRF) is once again calling for the removal of Minister of National Security Jack Warner from the Cabinet and for investigations into his alleged involvement in FIFA bribe-for-votes allegations to be resumed.
In a statement yesterday, the CRF said Warner's presence in the Cabinet, as well as his recent appointment as Minister of National Security, was undermining the integrity of the Government because of the allegations of bribery that were made against Warner, Mohamed Bin Hammam and others.
"New information coming to the fore strongly suggests that the integrity of the Government of Trinidad and Tobago is being seriously undermined both by Mr Warner's continued membership in the Cabinet and even more so by his recent appointment as Minister of National Security," the CRF stated.
"The CRF therefore makes a strong plea for good sense to prevail. Mr Warner must be removed from the Cabinet immediately and the police must actively resume its investigation into the allegations made against him," it added.
The CRF said the country was already at an all-time low as far as the perception of corruption was concerned and if no action was taken against Warner, the authority of key constitutionally-defined institutions, namely the Judiciary, the Police Service Commission and even Parliament will substantially be eroded.
On June 11, 2011, the CRF said it urged the Commissioner of Police to continue the investigation into the allegations of bribery that had been made against Warner, Bin Hammam and others although Warner had resigned as vice president of FIFA and FIFA had decided not to continue with its own investigation against him.
At that time the CRF recalled it had also called on Warner to step down from his position as a member of the Cabinet while the police investigation was ongoing, and that if he failed to do so, that the Prime Minister should relieve him of his duties.