Machel Montano has copped an unprecedented soca hat-trick for 2012 as his vibrant Carnival anthem "Pump Yuh Flag" was proclaimed yesterday as the 2012 Carnival Road March. This is Montano's fifth Road March win.
At a news conference held at the Queen's Park Savannah Grand Stand VIP Room in Port of Spain, Trinbago Unified Calypsonians Organisation (TUCO) president Lutalo "Brother Resistance" Masimba announced the results for the most popular songs played collectively at all band judging points.
Montano's "Pump Yuh Flag" was played 233 times at the Queen's Park Savannah, with his closest competitor, Fay-Ann Lyons-Alvarez's "Miss Behave", coming in second with 96 plays and Neil "Iwer" George's "No Pain" rounding out the top three with 84 plays. Montano was also Road March king for Downtown Carnival, with "Pump Yuh Flag" pumping 61 times.
On Fantastic Friday, Montano had been crowned Groovy Soca Monarch for the tune "Mr Fete" and Power Soca Monarch with "Pump Yuh Flag", and this win gives him a hat-trick of titles.
Veteran mas man Brian MacFarlane equalled the late Wayne Berkeley's 1989-1994 record for consecutive band of the year wins as his Sanctification—In Search Of won the prestigious 2012 George Bailey Band of the Year (large) title, giving MacFarlane his sixth win in the category.
Sanctification's queen, "Mother of Humanity—The Weeping Madonna", portrayed by Chariss Bovell, had been crowned Queen of the Bands last Sunday, Dimanche Gras.
Rounding out the top three in the large band category were former champions Trini Revellers' presentation, Carnival—the Golden Years, in second place, and Legacy, coming in third with their portrayal of Flight.
The Word and Associates, a Carnival band sanctioned by athe Roman Catholic Church in Trinidad and Tobago, won the medium band category with Exodus—the Second Book of the Bible. They were followed by Just Friends with Just Friends, and D Harvard Revellers' Dis Is We Ting.
how they placed
1. Machel Montano—"Pump Yuh Flag"—233 plays
2. Fay-Ann Lyons-Alvarez—"Miss Behave"—96 plays
3. Neil "Iwer" George—"No Pain"—84 plays
George Bailey Band of the Year (Large)
1. Sanctification—In Search Of—Brian Mac Farlane —1,337 points
2. Carnival—The Golden Years—Trini Revellers—1,278 points
3. Flight—Legacy—1,246 points
4. Ronnie and Caro...The Mas Band—Ronnie and Caro...The Mas Band—1,181 points
5. Species—Showtime Trinidad—1,167 points
Band of the Year (Medium)
1. Exodus—The Second Book of the Bible—The Word & Associates—1,208 points
2. Jus Friends—Jus Friends—1,198 points
3. Dis Is We Thing—D Harvard Revellers—1,176 points
4. The Water Seas of Consciousness—K2K Alliance and Partners—1, 158
5. Panache...Follow the White Plume—Roland St George—1, 157
Band of the Year (Small)
1. The Iroquois Nation—Tribal Connection Cultural Promotions—1,273 points
2. Xante Trinbago Xante—Rosalind Gabriel & Village Productions—1,247 points
3. Festivals of the World—BOSS (Belmont Original Stylish Sailors)—1,187 points