Sunday, December 17, 2017

Judge Grants Injuction to PSA Members

...orders that members be allowed entitlements

A High Court judge yesterday ordered that six Public Service Association members who were suspended two weeks ago over allegations of misconduct, be allowed to attend a meeting carded to take place today at 10 a.m.

Justice Frank Seepersad yesterday granted an injunction preventing the PSA from taking disciplinary action against the six members or bar them from attending or participating in meeting.

It was also ordered that they be allowed their financial entitlements.

Yesterday attorney Samuel Saunders appeared on behalf of the six members as the matter came up for hearing before the San Fernando High Court.

He said only two of his clients had been served letters outlining the particulars of the allegations against them.

Rosanna Robinson had received information by registered post yesterday at 11 a.m. and Rennie Bedassie received a letter the previous day.

Saunders said that the members were suspended without being given the opportunity to have defended themselves.

He said an advertisement in the newspaper, signed by the PSA president, said that the six had been suspended with immediate effect on January 17, thereby making them unauthorized to conduct any business on behalf of the PSA.

Justice Seepersad granted the injunction restraining the PSA from proceeding with and or hearing and or determining any allegation of misconduct and or indiscipline against the claimants stemming from the decision from the (PSA) general council on January 17 to suspend the defendants.

The order also restrains the PSA from preventing the six from attending and or participating in meetings of the association's executive committee and the general council.

Seepersad also made an order which restrains the PSA from withholding the salaries, allowances and emoluments to which the claimants are entitled.

The order is to be served on the PSA by 9 .a.m today, an hour before the meeting begins

The matter will next be called on February 6 in Port of Spain.