Tools

Judge to sum up murder trial next week

AFTER ruling on a legal issue raised by the defence in a murder trial, a judge is expected to begin his summation of the case to the 12-member jury next Thursday.

Following the ruling, the accused, Justin Kendall, told the court he was exercising his right to remain silent and not call any witnesses.

His attorney, Michelle Solomon-Baksh, also announced that she would not be addressing the jury.

Kendall, 33, is on trial before Justice Malcolm Holdip, in the Port of Spain High Court at the Hall of Justice in Port of Spain, charged with murdering 18-year-old Kevon Charles, who was shot to death at the corner of King Street and Broadway, Arima, on April 3, 2006.

Jurors heard of the circumstances surrounding the shooting from a witness who has since died.

Saleem Benoit, a welder, had testified that he was in a car with Charles, Keegan Gay and Trevon Cumberbatch.

He said Cumberbatch was the driver and Charles was sitting in the front passenger seat.

Benoit said he saw Kendall, was speaking on a cellular phone which was in his left hand when he raised his right hand and fired several shots at the car.

The court heard that Cumberbatch sped off and was told by Charles that he had been shot. Cumberbatch drove to Arima Hospital.

On April 15, 2006, Benoit was taken to Arouca Police Station where he identified Kendall as the man he saw shooting at Cumberbatch's car when Charles was shot.

—Keino Swamber

Let us know your thoughts
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you think Patrick Manning should contest the San Fernando East seat in the 2015 general election?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather