Sunday, February 25, 2018

Justice Kangaloo back in Trinidad


Injured in May 20 crash: Justice Wendell Kangaloo

(BI) Feedloader User

AFTER spending seven months undergoing extensive medical treatment in the United States for critical injuries he sustained in a road traffic accident last May, Justice of Appeal Wendell Kangaloo has returned to Trinidad.

Kangaloo sustained major injuries in an early morning crash on May 20, which resulted in four people losing their lives. The accident happened when the car in which the four were passengers, heading west, crossed the median of Churchill Roosevelt Highway in Trincity and crashed into Kangaloo's vehicle, which was travelling in the other direction.

Shortly before midnight on Sunday, Kangaloo returned after doctors at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago decided that he "had reached the stage of his convalescence where he could be discharged from hospital to rejoin his family in Trinidad", according to a press release issued yesterday by the Judiciary.

The release stated that Chief Justice Ivor Archie was on hand at Piarco International Airport to greet Kangaloo.

"The Chief Justice noted that Justice Kangaloo will need to be under the care of a local medical team since the judge was still at a delicate stage of rehabilitation, but he expressed optimism over his path to recovery, accepting that there was still some way to go before Justice Kangaloo could return to his Chambers at the Hall of Justice as the most senior among the country's Appeal Court judges," the release stated.

It added that Kangaloo's relatives said the fact that doctors found it fit to discharge him from hospital attests to the considerable improvement he has made during the past few weeks.

"They also said that the judge was extremely happy to be back in Trinidad and they were confident that the home environment would contribute further to his recovery," according to the release.

Following the accident, Kangaloo was warded at Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex (EWMSC) in Mt Hope in an unconscious state.

A few days later he was flown to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, before being transferred to the Rehabilitation Institute in Chicago.