Despite his disability, six-year-old Kriston Meyers was a “brilliant, bright and loving child”, neighbours said.
Meyers was killed in a fire that destroyed his Moolchan Road, Guaico Tamana, Sangre Grande, home in the early hours of Friday morning and left his eight-year-old brother, Christopher, hospitalised.
The child had been diagnosed with spina bifida from birth. Spina bifida is a birth defect that occurs when the bones of the spine don’t form properly around the spinal cord. But according to neighbours, Meyers’ handicap didn’t prevent him from enjoying life. He was like any other child.
“He was a happy little boy, always smiling, always playing,” neighbour and family friend Rueben Rojas said. “It’s just sad what happened.”
Rojas said Meyers’ death left the entire community in shock.
Joann Andall, a neighbour who is now caring for three of the surviving children: Chelsea, nine; Kadyle, two; and their infant sister, Amelia, told the Express yesterday the two older children were not eating and had been crying throughout the day. One-year-old Amelia, she said, was sleeping, too young to understand what had happened.
Andall, who said the children’s mother, Latoya Meyers, is like a daughter to her, said she was awakened around 2.30 a.m. by loud bawling.
“I asked my grandson where the bawling coming from and he said, ‘Toya house on fire,’” Andall recalled.
She rushed over to Meyers’ home and found the children standing outside in the rain. She said she took them into her house then.
A visibly shaken Andall accompanied the Express to the burnt remains of the Meyers’ home and said she had not been back to the house since the fire because it was just too painful for her to bear.
“It’s hard for me to be here. It’s like I can still see Kriston running down the stairs,” she said, pointing at the steps leading to the gallery.
“He was a happy, loving little boy. From the time he see me coming, he will take off with a speed to come and meet me. He was my little boyfriend.”
“And he was bright, too. Ask him to count and he counting. Ask him to write and he writing. He could spell his name, everything.”
Standing amid the smouldering remains of the Meyers’ house, Rojas said the family had lost everything in the blaze. He pleaded with the authorities to provide assistance to the family who he said are now without a home, clothing and school supplies.
Sangre Grande police are continuing investigations.