Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Kublalsingh to look at agreement


(BI) Feedloader User

Hunger striker Dr Wayne Kublalsingh yesterday said he would review the draft agreement between the Joint Consultative Council (JCC) and the Ministry of Works before deciding on whether he would abide by its terms and conditions.

By the time Kublalsingh and his team separated at just after 4 p.m. yesterday, he did not have the details of the draft agreement, but had received snippets of information from the media.

"Tonight I will have a look at that report and make a comment on it tomorrow (today), we will be here about 9.30 (a.m.)," he said.

"Was that agreement signed by the Prime Minister? The Prime Minister hasn't contacted me. We have been here about three weeks now?" he asked his supporters.

"Until I get word from the Prime Minister that she has agreed to undertake a review, including the vital components that we have always mentioned, our fast will continue," he said.

Though Kublalsingh seemed confident he would be back at the makeshift camp site today, he admitted to being unsure of just how much longer he can sustain this course of action.

"I think I have the strength to be here at 9.30 (a.m.). I cannot really vouch for the day or the following day or the following day," he said.

"I feel very weak, extremely weak and I'm very, very pale and I feel very chilly during the day," he said.

Kublalsingh met with his doctor, Ashantie Charles Le Blanc. He said he was advised his circulation was low, which is why he was cold but was not giving up and was in fact prepared to die for the cause.

"My position has not changed and when my body relents and I cannot continue any longer and I collapse, my members of the Highway Re-Route Movement will get in touch with the medical facility and that is how that is going to happen," he said.

From day three of the hunger strike, Kublalsingh's family has provided an ambulance on standby, complete with medical attendants as a contingency measure.

In the past week, since being hospitalised two weeks ago and given intravenous fluids, Kublalsingh has made frequent trips to the nearby ambulance to check his vital signs. By yesterday, there was no ambulance, no medical checks and no IV fluids.

"I am not taking any IV again because I think this matter has to come to a conclusion, we cannot go on indefinitely with this matter. Something has to happen," he said.