COMEDIAN Learie Joseph has been sued by promoters of the Annual World Laugh Festival, Y.M.G. Limited, for an alleged breach of contract.
In the Port of Spain High Court yesterday, Y.M.G.'s managing director, Clive Maingot, was granted an injunction which prevents Joseph from appearing in this weekend's Alternative Comedy Festival being put on by Randy Glasgow Promotions. The injunction was granted by Justice Judith Jones.
According to documents filed in the High Court on February 16, the company entered into a written agreement with Joseph in March last year to perform at the Annual World Laugh Festival 2012 on February 24, 25 and also on March 2, 3, and 4, 2012 at the fee of $10,000 per show.
Maingot, who is being represented by attorney Owen C Hinds Jr, is contending that under the terms of the agreement, Joseph was not supposed to perform at any other show and that his image was not to be used on any other advertisements during the period January 1, 2012 to March 5, 2012.
As stated in the application to the court, Joseph was paid the sum of $22,000 at the time he signed the contract and was promised the balance after the final show on March 4.
Joseph is being accused of breaching the agreement when he performed at the Annual Trinidad and Tobago Carnival Comedy Festival 2012 on January 20 at Palms Club, San Fernando, January 21 at Centre Pointe Mall, Chaguanas, January 22 at Nu Image Simplex, New Grant, Princes Town and January 25 and 29 at the National Academy for the Performing Arts.
"In breach of the agreement, some time after January 1, 2012, advertisements have appeared and continue to appear in the electronic media in which the defendant (Joseph) is scheduled to perform at the Alternative Comedy Festivals on the same days that the defendant is contracted to perform at the Annual World Laugh Festival 2012."
Maingot says his attorneys wrote to Joseph on February 7 calling on him to prevent his image and likeness from appearing in advertisements for the Alternative Comedy Festival but the letter was returned on February 13 with an endorsement that it was refused.
Contacted yesterday, Glasgow said his show, which runs for two consecutive weekends starting from tonight, will not be adversely affected by Joseph being prevented from performing.
"Learie came to us with a contract and based on what was brought to us, we signed him," Glasgow said.
"We have done all our years without him. This is the first year he is coming to the Alternative. However, our show is structured differently. Our emphasis is on a total package. So while he is a key player, he is not the major player. He was doing a skit with one of the other actors. We will just have to put somebody in his place to do the same role."
Calls to Joseph's cellular phone went unanswered up to presstime yesterday.