National Security Minister Jack Warner yesterday sent a warning to both critics and criminals that they "haven't seen anything yet", in the face of public outrage over his role during the demolition of a protest camp set up by the Highway Re-Route Movement in Debe on Wednesday. The camp had been set up in April 2012.
Warner yesterday remained not only unfazed by the criticisms but confident about his ability to fight crime.
"If allyuh believe what you saw in Debe, allyuh haven't seen anything yet; mark my words," Warner said yesterday as he visited with Ayoub Kabli, the businessman who shot a would-be bandit on Thursday in downtown Port of Spain.
Warner was unmoved by legal threats by former attorney general Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj, who stated his intention to file a class-action lawsuit against both Warner and the police for their action on Wednesday.
"Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and anybody else in society have a right to use whatever means at their disposal to get a redress or get justice if they believe, in some way, they have been aggrieved," Warner said later in the day as he attended the Police Caravan assembled on the Brian Lara Promenade in Port of Spain.
"I am not trembling in my shoes, of course, but I have no problem with this," he said.
"If he believes he has been aggrieved in some way, then file it," he said.
Warner said contrary to what has been said, he was not "directing" any police or army personnel during the demolition.
"I was there observing; I did not say a word to anyone; I folded my arms," he said.
"This is Trinidad and Tobago; everyone in this country wants to sponsor lawlessness. They believe lawlessness is something they must give some kind of fame to; I don't believe that," he said.
"If people believe that the way to get by is to support and sponsor and promote lawlessness, I and my Government don't," he said.
Warner said he had several crime initiatives in the works but will not be revealing anything for the next two to three weeks when he would unveil his national crime plan.
"One of the measures, and you have to agree, is a high level of police visibility in the streets at all times," he said.
He then patted on the back Sports Minister Anil Roberts, who also toured the police tents with him, saying he, too, would play a part in reducing crime by introducing more physical avenues for youths.
"He and I have agreed that there would be this nexus between his ministry and mine," he said.
He said while the crime plan would be revealed in "bits and pieces" over the next few weeks, it will be unveiled in its entirety in two to three weeks time.