12 CHARGES: Kadus Mannette is escorted out of the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court yesterday after facing 12 charges, including four for rape. —Photo: ISHMAEL SALANDY

Tools

Man in court on rape, abduction, robbery charges

By Rickie Ramdass rickie.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

A ST JAMES man appeared in the Port of Spain Magistrates’ Court yesterday on 12 charges of rape, abduction and robbery between October last year and January of this year.

The accused, 29-year-old Kadus Mannette, appeared before Magistrate Melvin Daniel in the Fourth (B) Court and was not called upon to plead to any of the charges.

He faced four rape charges, four charges of abduction, two robbery charges and two charges for grievous sexual assault. 

Mannette is accused of raping the women at Fort George Road, St James, the Lady Young Road, Belmont, and the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port of Spain. Two of the offences are alleged to have taken place along Fort George Road.

 Mannette, of Bournes Road, is also alleged to have abducted the women along Henry Street, Port of Spain, Fort George Road and at an address in Maraval and robbed them of cash and their cellular phones.

In his application for bail, defence attorney Sterling John told the court his client was the father of a three-year-old boy and had been regularly employed as an attendant at an auto supplies shop for the past 12 years. John said prior to the charges being laid, his client had never before been before a court for any other offences.

He said he was aware of the serious nature of the allegations, but noted that all of the offences for which Mannette was charged were bailable ones.

Daniel said given the number of offences for which Mannette was charged and the seriousness of the offences, he did not believe that bail should be granted.

Following the ruling, John told the magistrate that Mannette was receiving threats via his family that he would be harmed if remanded into prison custody.

The attorney asked that the magistrate make an order to have his client protected from potential attackers while at the prison.

Daniel however, said he would make a note of the concerns raised but stated that the court did not have the jurisdiction to make such an order. The magistrate said once a prisoner is handed over to the prison authorities, prison officers would take the necessary steps as it relates to their safety.

The matter was transferred to the Seventh Court and will resume on February 17.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you think that Anil Roberts should resign over the findings of the audit into the LifeSport programme?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather