DARREN Mohammed, the man charged with the attempted murder of his wife, was yesterday slapped with two sex charges.
Mohammed, 25, appeared in the Princes Town Magistrates Court charged with having sexual intercourse with a woman against her will and also with having sex with a female who was not his wife and not yet 16 years old.
The accused was not called upon to enter a plea to the indictable charges laid by Constable Tambie, the first having allegedly occurred on November 21 this year and the other between March 1 and 31, 2008.
Mohammed was placed on $500,000 bail to cover these charges and also the charge that he attempted to murder his wife, Amanda Mootilal.
Two weeks ago, Mohammed, a labourer, appeared in court charged with attempting to murder Mootilal, at their Barrackpore home.
It is alleged that Mootilal was beaten and had a bedsheet tied around her neck in an attempt to hang her.
Mohammed was remanded in prison custody after Magistrate Debra Quintyne raised concern about matters of a violent nature listed on his criminal record. She had asked that they be checked.
But yesterday there was no verification of these matters by the prosecution. Defence attorney Ravi Bunsee, however, admitted that his client had one such matter about seven years ago.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Krishna Bedassie objected to bail, saying that the victim had been contacted by the accused while he was in custody.
However, with no evidence presented before the court, Quintyne said it could not be taken into consideration.
She said while the allegations were horrific, Mohammed was innocent until proven guilty and was entitled to bail.
She placed Mohammed on $500,000 bail to cover the three charges. He was ordered to get two sureties and the bail has to be approved by a Clerk of the Peace.
Mohammed was warned to have no communication with the alleged victim through phone calls, text messages or e-mails and to stay 1,000 feet away from her. The matters against Mohammed were adjourned to January 7, 2014.
Mohammed also appeared yesterday before the Princes Town Second Court where, two weeks ago, Mootilal had taken out a protection order against him.
It was ordered that the protection order should continue and Mootilal is expected to re-appear in court today.