Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Man beaten with cutlass while eating doubles

Cops probe Minister's son

THE police are investigating a report that the son of a Government Minister assaulted a 56-year-old man with a cutlass on Wednesday morning.

According to the police report, the Minister's son beat the man after the assailant was told that he was from the gutter.

In a telephone interview with the Express, Gregory Wight said he was eating doubles outside Brooklyn Bar, Woodbrook around 7.20 a.m. on Wednesday when he was attacked.

Wight said the accused drove up to the doubles stand and left his vehicle running, with diesel fumes disturbing those who were eating while standing on the pavement.

"After a minute I asked him if he was leaving it on and he said yes. Then I told him that was not polite because people are eating here," said Wight, adding that he had issues in the past with enjoying his meal while inconsiderate drivers pollute the air.

After an exchange of words, Wight said he told his attacker that he was from the gutter and he was very sorry for him.

"He left and came back with a cutlass and by the time I saw that I said a silent prayer and prepared to die," Wight said.

Wight said he was hit, or planassed, on his left thigh and ordered to apologise, and then on his right and asked to apologise again. On both occasions Wight said he was sorry.

After the beating, the man returned to his vehicle, left the cutlass, returned to the doubles vendor, collected what he ordered and left.

Wight then made his way to Woodbrook Police Station where he filed a complaint.

He said the beating caused him to seek medical attention at West Shore Medical, where he spent just over $900 on the two two-inch lacerations.

Wight joked that it was the most expensive doubles he had ever eaten.

Contacted on Thursday, the Government Minister said it was the first he was hearing of the incident as he had only recently returned to the country and would enquire from his son the veracity of the claim before making any comment.

A video of the incident was aired on television last night.