Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Manning suffers seizure


PNM Member of Parliament for Diego martin Central Dr Amery Browne, and former PNM MP for Chaguanas East Mustapha Abdul-Hamid leave the San Fernando General Hospital last night after meeting with ailing former Prime Minister Patrick manning - PHOTO BY DAVE PERSAD

Donstan Bonn

FORMER prime minister Patrick Manning suffered a seizure at his constituency office at Coffee Street, San Fernando yesterday afternoon and had to be taken to hospital by ambulance.

Up to press time, he was being monitored in the resuscitation room at the Emergency Department of San Fernando General Hospital.

He underwent a brain scan, sedated by doctors, and was last night being monitored by neurologist Dr Kanta Ramcharan and head of the Emergency Department, Dr Ricardo Narinesingh.

The Express was told that Manning suffered a seizure at around 4 p.m., while meeting with constituents to plan a thanksgiving service in his honour at the National Academy for the Performing Arts South Campus in San Fernando this Saturday.

On the night of January 23 last year, Manning suffered a stroke at home and was taken to San Fernando General Hospital, before seeking treatment in the United States, where he underwent physiotherapy, speech and occupational therapy treatment.

He has been away from Parliament on medical leave since that time and has limited strength on one side of the body.

However, he attended Calypso Fiesta at Skinner Park, San Fernando earlier this month and was on the streets of the city during the Carnival.

Manning's wife, Hazel, planned to spend the night with him, said their son David Manning, who brought a change of clothes for his father.

David Manning said his father's doctors had predicted that following his stroke last year, he would have suffered three separate seizures and yesterday's episode was expected. Manning had suffered a first seizure in August last year.

He said Manning was in no danger and was being kept overnight for observation.

Anil Gosine, chief executive officer of South West Regional Health Authority, said: "We will continue to give him the best of care like we give to everyone at the hospital. We hope he is well enough to leave the institution as soon as possible."