Come September 3, the West Port of Spain traffic plan will be scrapped to avoid traffic.
The Ministry of Works said on its website yesterday that the temporary traffic plan had been rescinded.
This means that Ariapita Avenue, Tragarete Road and St James Main Road with be a dual lane traffic once more.
Since July 16, those thoroughfares have been one-way in a particular direction to facilitate traffic.
It was a joint effort by then Works Minister Jack Warner and Port of Spain mayor Louis Lee Sing who are now engaged in verbal sparring over a meeting with gang leaders last week.
The plan was supposed to be in place for three months.
The Ministry of Works advised on its website that the "West Port of Spain Experimental Traffic Scheme" will be rescinded.
"All measures and restrictions that constituted this Experimental Scheme shall no longer be in force from that date. Consequently, the configuration of the affected areas shall return to what previously applied, ie before the implementation of the Scheme," the ministry said.
"With the reinstatement of the former traffic arrangements in St James, Woodbrook and Newtown, the public is also advised that there will be the enforcement of all applicable parking restrictions, utilising both the Enforcing Officers and vehicle-towing options. Motorists should therefore observe and obey such restrictions and, in this way, allow for as free a flow of traffic as possible and avoid the penalties and inconveniences associated with breaches of the Law," it said.
The ministry said while the traffic scheme was "undoubtedly, very successful" in reducing traffic congestion and travel times along the main routes leading to and from the Port of Spain central business district there were some "negative side effects" which outweighed the benefits that were gained.
"In that regard, the Ministry wishes to thank all stakeholders who facilitated the testing of the experiment and, moreso, by their constructive and frank feedback, both remotely and via consultations, assisted in the consistent and faithful monitoring and assessment of it," it said.
The ministry said it will continue to review the traffic arrangements in West Port of Spain with a view to determining what future action needs to be taken to relieve congestion and enhance travel times.