Baby Aniken Charles, who died after swallowing prenatal drugs prescribed to his pregnant mother, was laid to rest yesterday.
The boy celebrated his first birthday last month.
His teenage mother, Nita Lutchman, said she was asleep when her son reached for a sealed bottle, opened it, and swallowed more than a dozen tablets.
Lutchman, 17, said he woke to find her son on the bedroom floor with the tablets around 6 p.m. on Sunday.
She is six months pregnant.
The family lives at Buen Intento Road, Princes Town.
"I saw him with the tablets and I grabbed it from him. I stick my finger in his throat and he vomit out some. He was not looking good so I grabbed him in my arms and ran out the road. No taxi was stopping. They didn't want to go to the hospital. Then a female taxi-driver stopped and carried me because she saw how sick my son was," she said. The child's father, Ochi Charles, 27, was asleep in another bedroom when the incident happened. Little Aniken was taken to the Princes Town District Hospital where he was examined and transferred to the San Fernando General Hospital. He was being treated in the Intensive Care Unit until he died on Monday morning.
An autopsy found that the child died from ingesting a toxic substance.
Police said he ingested about 17 ferrous sulphate tablets. The drug is used by pregnant women as an iron supplement. Investigators said the child's mother was interviewed and released. Lutchman said goodbye to her first born in a simple funeral service at their home yesterday. His framed photo was placed on the front wall of the family's simple wooden house.
Princes Town police are continuing investigations.