Saturday, December 16, 2017

Mother gets report...pleased with Ramlogan’s recommendations


COMFORTED: Attorney General Anand Ramlogan comforts an overwhelmed Quelly Ann Cottle, mother of baby Simeon, before she faced the media at a press conference at the Office of the Attorney General in Port of Spain yesterday.— Photo: CURTIS CHASE

Mark Fraser

 QUELLY Ann Cottle, the mother of baby Simeon, said yesterday she is only now happy with the manner in which her baby’s death is being handled.

Cottle was speaking  at a news conference with Attorney General Anand Ramlogan at the Office of the Attorney General, Cabildo Chambers, Port of Spain.

Her remarks followed an announcement by Ramlogan that an independent report into her baby’s death was to be forwarded to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and the Commissioner of Police for immediate investigation.

Cottle was given a copy of the report yesterday.

Cottle’s baby, Simeon, was delivered via Caesarean-section at the Women’s Hospital of the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex on March 1, 2014. 

Hours later, the baby was dead, having sustained what the report said was a seven centimetre cut to the head.

Speaking calmly to the media yesterday, Cottle repeated a previous statement that she wanted to see the doctor’s licence revoked and that he will “hopefully to go jail”.

Cottle said the stage which the case has reached “took so long to come around” but she is happy that something is being done.

She said she was at a relative’s home when footage of the baby’s injuries was aired on television and seeing it was “very difficult”.

The matter is now in the hands of her lawyers but Cottle said she was uncertain at this point as to what type of legal action will be taken.

What the report stated:

• A prima facie case of medical negligence may have been made out following the admission of Dr Javed Chinnia  that a surgical error was to be blamed for the baby’s death.

• There was no suggestion that what happened to infant Cottle was the kind of thing which might happen if due care was taken. But no such submission could have been made because the degree of negligence was of a very high order.

• There were also conflicting reports on the laceration to the skull of baby Simeon as Chinnia had put the cut at four centimetres, while the pathologist later reported a gash of seven centimetres.

• Quite apart from the admission of Dr Chinnia, the nature of the injury sustained raises the issue of negligence which could not have been answered.

• In this case it is clear that the injury occurred from failure to exercise the degree of skill which was required in order to perform this procedure. There is no case that can be identified in any reputable journal in which a case similar to this one has occurred.