THE Kings and Queens of Carnival competition is on, president of the National Carnival Bandleaders Association (NCBA) David Lopez said yesterday.
Lopez made the statement yesterday despite calls from the Trinidad and Tobago Carnival Bands Association (TTCBA) for the competition to be boycotted
In an attempt to give Carnival a makeover, the NCC decided to re-image the Dimanch Gras show.
The Dimanche Gras show in previous years traditionally consisted of the Calypso Monarch competition and the Kings and Queens of Carnival competition.
The new-look Dimanche Gras show however does not include any competitive element this year.
As a result of this the Kings and Queens show was moved to Carnival Friday, the same night of the International Soca Monarch competition.
The change in date caused the TTCBA to call for a boycott of the competition.
Lopez however said the show would go on despite the threats of a boycott.
The show has been named "Big Friday".
"The Big Friday event, let me assure you is on," Lopez said during a press conference held a the VIP Lounge of the Queen's Park Savannah yesterday.
Lopez said "major artistes" such as Kees Dieffenthaler, David Rudder, Denyse Plummer, the national steel orchestra and the national dance association had already been contracted.
"From the time we started Kings and Queens many years ago the NCBA always had the (Carnival) Friday as its semi finals. We are not in competition with any other event on that day, there are two different audience that go to these shows," Lopez said.
"It is going to be a show incorporating all aspects of our Carnival, the mas, the pan and the calypso so what I am asking for is for your support," he said.
Lopez said online registration was currently ongoing and the NCBA already has over 200 registrants.
He warned that there will be "no acceptance for late registration".
He however did not state the deadline date yesterday.
"At 5 o'clock the system will shut down and we cannot bring it back up," he said.