Wednesday, January 17, 2018


Body of 32-year-old missing woman found in car trunk at hospital


MURDERED: Jayanti Dubay-Ramrattan

Mark Fraser


FOUND IN TRUNK: The Hyundai Elantra car in which the body of missing nurse Jayanti Dubay- Ramrattan was found. —Photo: DAVE PERSAD

Mark Fraser

A 32-year-old Barrackpore nurse who was missing has been found dead in the trunk of her car parked in a hospital car park. 

Police said the body of Jayanti Dubay-Ramrattan, a mother of one, of Wilson Road, was found by crime scene investigators (CSI) while examining her Hyundai Elantra. 

She was strangled and beaten to death.

Dubay-Ramrattan had worked at St Ann’s Hospital for ten years and also at a private hospital in Cocorite. 

The Express was told that on Monday, a relative of Dubay-Ramrattan saw her Hyundai Elantra in the car park near the Accident and Emergency Department of the San Fernando General Hospital. 

However, it was only Wednesday night her family was informed of the whereabouts of the car. 

The family in turn informed the police and at around 4 a.m. yesterday, police officers towed it to the Barrackpore Police Station. 

At the police station when CSI officers opened the trunk of the car, they found Dubay-Ramrattan’s body. 

Dubay-Ramrattan and her husband, Ramchand Ramrattan, have a four-year-old daughter. 

A close male relative who is assisting the police in their investigations told investigators yesterday that on Wednesday, he went to the St James Police Station to report her missing. 

He informed them he last saw her at her home on the night of last week Thurs­day when she was preparing to leave for work and he went to bed. 

He also told investigators that the next day, he received a text from her, telling him she was going to lime with other nurses. However, after he was unable to contact her for several days, on Wednesday, he told police he went to her workplace in search of her. He said co-workers told him she had not reported to work for several days. 

The relative said he was told by St James police officers that the report should be lodged at the Barrackpore Police Station. He later went to that police station and lodged a missing person’s report. 

The relative was assisting homicide detectives in their investigation yesterday. 

An autopsy on Ramrattan’s body, performed yesterday at the Forensic Science Centre in St James, found she was strangled and suffered cerebral cranial trauma. 

The autopsy was performed by Dr Hughvon Des Vignes. 

Speaking to the media at the Forensic Science Centre, her mother, Rehana Dubay, said her daughter was pursing a bachelor of arts degree in nursing and had recently topped the Caribbean in one of her courses. 

Dubay also said her husband died in November. 

Vesham Pysadee, a cousin of the deceased, said he and his brother Joey did not know she was missing until Wednesday. 

Pysadee, a retired police officer, said when he was told she was missing, he made enquiries and was told the car was at the hospital car park, and he informed the police. 

The murder toll for the year up to last night was 45, compared with 33 for the same period in 2013.