NEIGHBOURS helped extinguish a fire that broke out at a house at Wellington Gardens, Debe, on Tuesday.
Herman Spencer, 53, and his wife, Wahida Spencer, 52, who live in the Housing Development Corporation home, said they were grateful for the heroic actions.
Wahida Spencer said she was in the living room when she saw smoke coming from a front bedroom. She had just awakened from sleep in that bedroom, around 5.30 p.m. She was the only one at home at the time.
She said the smoke was so thick that she could not enter the room to save anything. The fire destroyed a bed, television, radio, fan and a box containing cosmetics.
Wahida alerted the development's security guard, Gretia Voisin, who was walking by at the time. Voisin helped Wahida exit the house and she called for help from other neighbours.
Several used fire extinguishers from their vehicles, and the fire was smothered before fire officers arrived.
Housing Minister Roodal Moonilal visited the couple yesterday and told them they would be relocated to another home temporarily until the house was fixed using State funds.