Monday, February 19, 2018

New rules for study in Canada

Canada has imple­men­ted new regulations for international students who want to study in that country that will take effect from tomorrow, June 1, 2014.

“The new regulations will improve services to genuine students while protecting Canada’s international reputation for high-quality education

and reducing the potential for fraud and misuse of the programme,” the Canadian High Commis­sion said in a release yesterday.

Among the new reg­ulations, applicants must

enrol in and continue to pursue studies in Can­a­da.Failure to do so could lead to removal from Canada. Study permits will on­ly be issued to successful applicants who are pursuing studies at an educational institution that has been desig­nated to receive international students.

Permits will automatically authorise the holder to work off-campus for

up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full time du­ring scheduled breaks, without the need to apply for a separate work permit.

The study permit hol­der must be pursuing academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more that leads to a degree, diplo­ma or certificate at a designated institution.

Only international students who are pursuing studies at a seconda­ry school or at a designated institution may apply for a co-op work permit if a co-op placement is an integral part of their course of study.

Visitors may apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are at the preschool, pri­mary or secondary level,

are on an academic exchange or a visiting stu­dent at a designated learning institution, or have completed a course or programme of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated learning institution.

International students enrolling in courses in Canada for six months or less do not need a stu­dy permit, although students from countries whose citizens require a visa for entry will still need a valid visitor visa.

—For more information visit