Tools

Owner loses $140,000 in auto garage fire

By Carolyn Kissoon

AUTO garage owner Sheldon Tom lost everything in a fire which destroyed his home yesterday.

Tom and his wife Crystal Gour were not at home when the blaze broke out around 8.30 a.m.

Gour, 32, is employed at SM Jaleel and Company Ltd in South Oropouche.

The couple lived in a wooden house at Techier Village, Point Fortin.

Tom's niece, Denna Philbert, told the Express, "My uncle's business place is in Point Fortin. They left home around 7.15 a.m. and Tom dropped off his wife to work and then he went to work.

"I understand someone was passing on the road and called out to the neighbour that the house was on fire. But by the time my uncle returned home it was destroyed."

Philbert said the couple moved into the house in 2004.

"They had everything, a computer, three television sets and many other things. They lost everything they owned," she said.

By the time fire-fighters responded, the house was already engulfed in flames.

Officers were able to prevent the flames from spreading to an adjoining building.

Philbert said losses were estimated at $140,000.

She said her uncle and his wife will stay with relatives until they can find a new home.

Officers believe the fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring.

Let us know your thoughts
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you think Patrick Manning should contest the San Fernando East seat in the 2015 general election?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather