Sunday, January 21, 2018

‘PH’ driver killed

...charred remains found in car


BEYOND RECOGNITION: Members of the media take photographs of the burnt AD Wagon vehicle on Medina Trace in Moruga yesterday afternoon where Francis Sampson’s burnt remains were found. —Photo: DEXTER PHILIP

Mark Fraser


Francis Sampson

Mark Fraser

A MORUGA “PH” taxi-driver and lorry man is suspected to have been murdered after his car with a body inside was discovered on fire yesterday morning.

Francis Sampson, also known as “Ken”, and “Cheapman” 59, of Bois Jean Jean, is believed to have been killed while seated in the driver’s seat of his white AD Wagon which he used as a “PH” taxi.

Police were alerted to the burning vehicle in Medina Trace, St Mary’s, Moruga, around 9 a.m.

A party of police officers of the Moruga and Princes Town police stations, Homicide Division (South), and fire officers of the Princes Town Fire Station responded to the scene and found the vehicle on fire a few metres away from Penal Rock Road.

Fire officers extinguished the blaze and found the body which was burnt beyond recognition, police said.

An investigator told reporters the case has been classified as murder, but a motive has not been established for the killing.

Dental records and DNA testing will be used to assist in identifying the body, police said.

Sampson, a Ministry of Works employee, was last seen alive by his co-workers around 8 a.m. when he left his work site at Moruga Road.

Police were told by residents that shortly before 9 a.m. a teenage relative of Sampson’s was seen seated in the front passenger seat of the vehicle that drove into Medina Trace.

A co-worker of Sampson’s, who did not wish to be identified, said yesterday was a usual say for Sampson at the work site at Moruga Road.

“Everything was normal with him. He finished work at around 8 o’clock, and he said he was going to play 14 and 17 in the Play Whe. He left the junction in his car and that was it.”

Sampson’s wife, Terryann Sampson, said her husband had no enemies nor any threats on his life.

“I do not know what is going on. I do not know what they might have killed him for. He was a very quiet and peaceful person. He didn’t even have a watch or a chain. He only had a phone,” she said.

His wife said she last saw Sampson around 6.30 a.m. when he was leaving for work. She said they spoke of taking a trip to visit two of their children in New York next year when he retired from public service.

“This morning he talked about when he paid off his insurance in November he was going to work on us going to America. Then he told me he wanted me to cook rice, black eye peas and smoked bones. Normally he would come home at around 9 o’clock. But when I didn’t see him I got worried. I kept calling his phone but it was going to voicemail,” she said.

The couple had three children and celebrated their 29th wedding anniversary on July 13.

The car was towed to the former Special Anti-Crime Unit (SAUTT) lab in Cumuto, where forensic testing and DNA analysis is to be conducted.

The body was removed to the Forensic Science Centre, St James, where DNA samples are expected to be extracted and an autopsy is expected to be performed today.

Cpl McDonald Simmons is continuing investigations.