Quick action by bus driver Lemond Gray saved the lives of the passengers of a 33-seater Public Transport Service Corporation (PTSC) bus in Charlotteville, Tobago, yesterday.
Shortly after 8 a.m. smoke was seen coming from the back of the bus. Gray proceeded to ensure all persons exited the bus, which eventually was engulfed in flames.
Thirty-one passengers, inclusive of pupils who were scheduled to sit the CAPE examinations, were taken to safety.
Fire Officer David Thomas said fire officials responded to calls for help around 8.25 a.m. Roxborough Fire Appliances responded at Back Hill, Charlotteville, and discovered the bus engulfed in flames.
Initial reports reveal overheating in the electrical system due to moisture, as the cause of the blaze.
This accident is the latest in a series of bus accidents in Tobago. In March, three persons were injured following a bus accident in Roxborough. An electrical problem was the cause of that accident. While in November 2013 another bus steered over a precipice while descending into Charlotteville.
Assistant general manager PTSC Tobago Henry Cooke could not be reached for comment.