A pitbull and a Rottweiler were shot by police early yesterday morning at Silver Mill Street, San Juan.
The dogs earlier escaped from their yard, ran into another residence up the street and killed three ducks belonging to resident Mikey Sadoo.
Hearing a commotion outside, Sadoo looked through his window and saw the dogs mauling his ducks.
The police were called and both dogs were shot.
The pitbull was killed instantly but the Rottweiler was alive and was eventually put to sleep by veterinarian Dr Patrica Pow-Brown.
Owner of the dogs, Mokesh Maraj, said a tenant at his property did not secure the gate properly and the dogs escaped.
“I will not be getting any more dogs again,” said Maraj. “It is too painful. The police did what they had to do but at least they could have ensured that both dogs were dead. My “Lovey” (the Rottweiler) should not have to suffer so,” Maraj told the Sunday Express yesterday as he wiped away tears.
Last Monday, 82-year-old Lillian Bunsee was mauled to death at her home at La Seiva Road, Maraval by a pitbull belonging to a relative.
Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said last week the re-named Dog Control Bill was passed on the last day of the parliamentary session in order to prevent it from becoming “lapsed”.
With the bill being passed, Ramlogan said there was a Parliament undertaking that would accommodate certain amendments based on suggestions from members of the Opposition and Independent senators.
Section 19 of the Dog Control Act:
19. (1) Where a class A dog injures a person, without reasonable cause whether in a public place or on private premises, the owner or keeper of the dog commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine of $100,000 and to imprisonment for five years.
(2) Where a class A dog kills a person or causes the death of a person, without reasonable cause, the owner or keeper of the dog commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine of $200,000 and to imprisonment for ten years.
Class A dogs are identified in the Bill as:
1. Pitbull Terrier or any dog bred from the Pitbull Terrier.
2. Fila Brasileiro or any dog bred from the Fila Brasileiro.
3. Japanese Tosa or any dog bred from the Japanese Tosa.