Monday, February 19, 2018

Police looking for freed cop


missing: Darwin Ghouralal, right, during his trial.

Mark Fraser

THE Immigration Department has no records of police officer Darwin Ghouralal leaving the country since his acquittal nine months ago on the charge of murdering eight-year-old Daniel Guerra.

A senior police officer yesterday said checks with this department reveal there are no official records of Ghouralal being outside of the country, but he is yet to be found for the judge’s warrant, which was issued for his arrest months ago, to be executed.

The case against Ghouralal was discharged last September with Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Joan Honore-Paul telling the court the prosecution intended to apply for a judge’s warrant. 

This can be done, in law, when the Director of Public Prosecutions believes there is enough evidence to take the matter before a judge. 

The DPP’s Office wrote the magistrates’ court requesting the copy of the deposition or notes of evidence recorded during the enquiry. This was forwarded to a judge who reviewed it and issued a warrant for Ghouralal to be re-arrested.

When Ghouralal is held, he will be taken into custody to await  trial before a judge and jury. Since an enquiry was held in the past, before the magistrates’court, this will not be re-done.

Nine months ago, Senior Magistrate Rajendra Rambachan found there was insufficient evidence to take the matter before a jury and told Ghouralal he was discharged.

Ghouralal’s attorney, senior counsel Sophia Chote, who appeared along with attorney Michelle Solomon-Baksh, had presented a no-case submission that the State’s case was based on circumstantial evidence and therefore her client could not face the High Court.


In April 2011, Ghouralal who had 15 years’ service as a police officer and last 

worked with the Robbery Squad of the Southern Division, made his first 

appearance before the court charged with killing Guerra on a day unknown  between February 17 and 21, 2011.

The child’s decomposing body was found near a river along Tarouba Link Road, 

two days after he went missing. The Standard Two pupil of Gasparillo Government Primary School was last seen 

standing near a track leading to his family’s Bedeau Street, Gasparillo home. He was returning from a nearby parlour where he had purchased soft drinks. The case proceeded by way of paper committal, where the State filed statements and the defence had the option of calling witnesses to give oral evidence.