Police maintain ‘immediate’ search made for Keyana
...DPP to determine what charge to be laid against suspect
Gyasi Gonzales firstname.lastname@example.org
POLICE investigators consulted with the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) last night on what charge would be laid against the man who is the main suspect in the murder of six-year-old Keyana Cumberbatch which occurred last week in Maloney.
On Monday the child went missing but by Thursday afternoon her body was found in a shipping barrel at her mother’s Maloney apartment.
The Maloney police came under heavy criticism from the public however for their initial handling of the case when it is alleged they told Cumberbatch’s mother, Simone Williams that the police needed a 24-hour wait before a search could be initiated.
Yesterday however at the weekly police briefing at police headquarters, police said they immediately began a search for the child when she was first reported missing.
A statement from the police said; “At 7.10 p.m. on Monday, November 25, 2013, a relative of Keyana Cumberbatch went to the Maloney Police Post and made a report that the child was discovered missing around 6.40 p.m. from the home of her grandmother. In keeping with standard procedure as outlined in the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service Standing Order 51, the officers of the Maloney Police Post recorded the report in the station diary and at 7.20 p.m., communicated with officers of their mobile patrol which was out in the district, to begin a search for the missing child. A photograph of the child was requested and same was provided by the relative.”
It added, “Again, in keeping with policy, the Homicide Bureau Region II, which is based at the Arouca Police Station was informed.”
The statement said, “The Homicide Bureau received the report at 9.50 p.m. and within ten minutes of the receipt of the report, despatched a party of officers to join in the search. This was at 10.10 p.m.”
It added, “At 10.53 p.m. on Monday, November 25, Simone Williams mother of Keyana Cumberbatch went to the Maloney Police Post to lodge a report of the missing child and was informed of the report made by the relative at 7.10 p.m. and that a search was already in progress. Officers were out for the entire night. These officers, (Homicide) returned to the Maloney Post at 5.35 a.m. on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 and conducted interviews of persons while other units were out searching.”
The statement also maintained that, “During the entire night of Monday, November 25, 2013, searches continued, several persons were interviewed; statements were recorded as reflected in the Maloney Police Post station diary. These searches continued all day on Tuesday, November 26, 2013, Wednesday, November 27 and Thursday 28, up until the body of the child was found.”