Tools

Probe into soldier's death: no headway

By Joel Julien joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com

HOMICIDE investigations into the death of Lance Corporal Curtis Marshall are almost complete, but detectives have been unable to make any headway into the probe, the Express has learned.

At 11.40 p.m. on December 29 last year, Marshall was found lying unconscious in the vicinity of the clothing and equipment stores at the Defence Force Headquarters in Chaguaramas.

Initial attempts to revive Marshall by military personnel were unsuccessful.

Marshall, 31, was taken by ambulance to the Community Hospital of Seventh-Day Adventists in Cocorite.

Further efforts to resuscitate Marshall were unsuccessful, and he was eventually pronounced dead at the hospital.

An autopsy conducted at the Forensic Science Centre in Federation Park on December 31 by pathologist Dr Eslyn McDonald-Burris listed the cause of death as strangulation.

A homicide investigation was started as a result of this autopsy.

A team of officers under Superintendent Harry and acting Superintendent Nanan are lead- ing investigations.

All those who were on duty the night Marshall was killed were recalled to base.

Detectives were granted access to TTDF Headquarters, and video footage from closed-circuit television cameras on the compound was handed over to officers.

Detectives were also given Marshall's medical history.

However, police do not have any strong leads in relation to a suspect in Marshall's death, the Express learned.

A few more soldiers are scheduled to be interviewed today.

Family members are still waiting for a final autopsy report from pathologist Dr Hubert Daisley.

On January 1, preliminary results of a second autopsy conducted by Daisley confirmed the results by McDonald-Burris.

Daisley had also stated Marshall was dealt several blows to the back of the head.

Last Friday, however, Daisley conducted further tests on Marshall's body and came to the conclusion the soldier was not murdered but may have died as a result of an asthma attack.

Dr Valery Alexandrov, who co-signed McDonald-Burris' report, also conducted a separate autopsy where he, too, said Marshall was strangled.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Are you satisfied with what the Prime Minister has said in her letter to Dr Wayne Kublalsingh?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather