Rampersad ‘will walk in two months’

By Anna Ramdass

Ryan Rampersad will walk again.

Dr Peter Poon King yesterday said the Sea Lots accident victim was on the road to recovery, and doctors were working with him to ensure he can walk in about two months’ time.

Poon King has been leading Ramper­sad’s rehabilitative care at the St James Medical Complex.

“Right now we are getting him to stand and we anticipate in a month or two we will have him walking again,” Poon King told the Express by phone.

Poon King said Rampersad’s thought process is good and, although his speech is slurred, the outlook was positive.

He said Rampersad was placed in a “stander machine” which was used to get him to stand on his own and strengthen his legs.

Poon King said Rampersad’s reco­very was a team effort, noting the contributions of the nursing staff and physiotherapist Padidapu Chowdari, fondly known as “Mr Padi”.

Poon King said the objective was to get Rampersad fully recuperated, adding that it will take some time.

He said there were other success stories, but Rampersad’s case was special as it has received widespread public attention.

Asked how he felt personally to see Rampersad’s improved condition, Poon King responded, “It’s rewarding when you see someone who is severely disabled bounce back to the place that Ryan has bounced back, considering where he came from in terms of his level of function.”

Questioned on whether he believes there was faith involved or if Rampersad’s recovery was based on science, Poon King said, “For those of us who believe in God—and I belong to that group—faith is important as well as the love and support from family and friends.”

On February 24, Rampersad was one of six people injured in an accident involving off-duty police officer Sherwin Legere, which claimed the lives of Haydee Paul, 28, and her two daughters, Shakira, seven, and Akasha, eight.

Rampersad, 21, is the father of two young children—daughter Naomi, three, and son Nyron, one.

Since the accident, Rampersad had been hospitalised in a vegetative state at Port of Spain General Hospital and then transferred to St James Medical Complex. 

On Christmas Eve, he was sent home to spend Christmas with  his family. 

On Christmas Day, the Express visi­ted Rampersad at his Sea Lots home, where he laughed, talked and cried tears of joy.

After spending three days at home, Rampersad yesterday returned to the St James Medical Complex, where he is expected to stay until his condition improves to be released.

His grandmother, Verro James, who spends most of the day assisting the therapist in Rampersad’s treatment, said her grandson was talking more now and moving his body.

“Just now, he will walk again, he will walk. His legs are getting stronger,” she said.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you think stronger procurement legislation can prevent corruption?

  • Yes
  • No

Newsletter Sign Up

Subscribe to our FREE Digital Divide Newsletter.
To subscribe enter your email address
For Email Marketing you can trust


More Weather