Tools

Rape accused's case dismissed

...alleged victim lied

By Nikita Braxton-Benjamin Nikita Braxton@trinidadexpress.com

A man on trial for statutory rape was freed in the San Fernando High Court yesterday after his alleged victim admitted during cross-examination that she had framed him.

The woman, who was 13 years old at the time of the alleged offence, said she made up the allegation against Ryan Ramkissoon to protect her boyfriend.

As a result of her testimony, Justice Carla Browne-Antoine, directed the jury of nine men to return a not-guilty verdict.

Justice Browne-Antoine also asked that the woman who made the false claim seek counselling through the Victims Support Unit of the Police Service.

Ramkissoon was on trial in the San Fernando Fourth Assize. On Monday, his alleged victim took the stand and testified that on September 21, 2005, she left the family house and met Ramkissoon and another man she identified by name.

She testified that the man took her to a house and she spent the night there.

She testified that when she returned to the house four days later, the man held her down while she was assaulted by Ramkissoon.

However, under cross-examination by defence attorney Kevin Ratiram yesterday, the woman admitted that the man was her boyfriend and they had sexual intercourse.

The woman also admitted to making a false report to police last year that she had been kidnapped and sexually assaulted in a separate incident, which resulted in her being charged, and pleading guilty to wasteful employment of police time.

Ramkissoon told the court he would be going to church to give thanks.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you agree with the views that focus on race and religion are spoiling the harmony of Trinidad and Tobago?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather