Several Diego Martin residents have packed up and left their homes following last week’s floods, some residents who stayed behind told the Express yesterday.
Speaking outside her home on Hillaire Street, Diego Martin, one woman who asked not to be identified said her neighbours who left are fed up.
“My neighbour next-door said he is leaving because it is too much, then another neighbour around the corner who was renting an apartment packed up and left after her dog got swept away in the flood waters and another neighbour right on the corner also left her good house after the floods.”
“We had a civil engineer come here yesterday (Sunday) and when he saw the drain on Texeira Street extension he had to laugh to see how we have been suffering unnecessarily. He said all the relevant authorities need to do is widen that drain which is now about three feet, to six feet which there is enough room to do without going unto anyone’s property. Remove the tunnel that slows the flow of the water and put an elbow to allow the water to flow freely into the river at the end of the drain. This is madness because we have been crying out for years for that drain to be fixed, because there are solutions and nothing has been done,” she said.
She said the cleaning up of the roads was done quickly by the relevant authorities but the real issue, the widening of the drain, is not being treated with.
The woman who said she lost several household appliances when flood waters rose to four feet inside her home, and five feet outside taking with it the wall at the front of her home, told the Express that the impact of the floods was not only financial and material loss but there are psychological effects as well.
David Winston Cudjoe, a 69-year-old who lives on Texeira Street, Diego Martin, with his wife, 65-year-old wife Shadie Cudjoe, told the Express that although they received assistance from the relevant authorities including the Member of Parliament for the area Dr Amery Browne, Minister of National Security Gary Griffith, Minister of Justice Emmanuel George and chairman of the Regional corporation Anthony Sammy, after flood waters engulfed their entire home last week causing losses of more than $300,000, they have been told that the maximum amount in compensation would be $10,000.
“We lost everything and we have been getting promises— the Minister of the People Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh— his Ministry came here and they took an estimate of what we lost, but they told us the maximum payout is $10,000 but we lost about $300,000, estimated, but they are not going to compensate us for all of that,” he said.