Leader of the Opposition Dr Keith Rowley has described Friday’s flooding in Diego Martin as unfortunate and believes that more needs to be done to mitigate floods in that region.
Speaking with the Sunday Express during a walkabout in Barataria yesterday to promote the party’s local Government candidate Permell Bruno, Rowley said:
“It is very unfortunate. It has happened two years in a row, last year we had a very terrible situation; we thought we had seen the end of it. Last year we had Glencoe and Diego Martin, this year what happened to Diego Martin Central was very, very frightening. I actually got home during that storm but clearly we weren’t prepared for the situation.
“I don’t think enough has been done to mitigate the flooding. Some work has been done but it is not enough and certain things need to be done differently. Certainly the rainy season comes every year. We need to be prepared there are certain preparatory works that are required to be done and sometimes some of those things are not done.”
Rowley added that the Corporation and the citizens in areas like Diego Martin needed to keep the water courses clear because of how they were situated.
“Diego Martin is funny in that the river is occupied on both sides with dense populations and all of the drains are going into the rivers. They have to be kept clear so that the water can go straight down into the river but there is a whole lot more that we can do and when things happen and things go wrong we need a quick response and an effective response to bring relief,” he said.