Thursday, July 30, 2015

Sando crime fight back


SAN Fernando Mayor Navi Muradali said yesterday that the city has embarked on its own initiative to combat crime.

Muradali held a press conference at San Fernando City Hall to establish a joint partnership, aimed at minimising criminal activity in the city, which was the scene last month of the killing of police Sergeant Hayden Manwaring.

The meeting was chaired by Muradali and attended by assistant Commissioner South Glenda Jennings-Smith, Superintendent Huggins, City Police ASP Sydney Corbett, Inspector Arjoon, CEPEP chairman Adesh Deonarine, URP South manager Shurland Bengochea, and other city officials in the engineering and public health department.

Muradali said officials have agreed on a plan of action to safeguard citizens and to curb potential crimes from occurring in nine areas. He said among the strategies already started is the campaign to deal with abandoned homes and overgrown lots in the city, and a series of town meetings to sensitise communities to identify hotspots.

The Mayor said they also hope to partner with T&TEC for improved lighting in high-risk communities and streets and to begin safety education training at City Hall for CEPEP and URP workers in conjunction with the police.

Muradali said within two weeks, education campaigns would begin and a city hotline created for members of the public to use when reporting dilapidated buildings and overgrown lots where suspected illegal activity may occur.