SEA LOTS residents have threatened to "fog up the place" if promises made to them are not met following the deaths of three of their own and serious injuries to three others in a car accident last month.
In a telephone interview with the Express yesterday, spokesperson for the residents, Kenroy Dopwell, said the people have been treated like fools by the powers-that-be after the accident which claimed the lives of Haydee Paul, 28, and her two daughters, Shakira, seven, and Akasha, eight.
The three were on their way home from the Central Market on February 24 when a car driven by an off duty policeman, heading west along Beetham Highway, mounted the sidewalk and knocked down six people, killing Paul and her two daughters and injuring three others.
Those injured were Amanda Lalla alias "Roti-woman", Abbigail Assing and Ryan "Dhal" Rampersad.
Following the accident, the Sea Lots residents were assured that a walkover would be built in the area. In the interim they were told that traffic wardens and police officers would be positioned to help residents cross the highway.
Dopwell said the traffic wardens were there for a few days and then vanished and police officers who come do not exit their vehicles.
He added that a bridge was promised to be built from Pioneer Drive to Succession Drive and onto Production Avenue to prevent pedestrians from walking along Beetham Highway to and from the Central Market.
Dopwell said the residents are peaceful now as they await the end of the 40-day period to allow the souls of the dead ones to rest.
He said following the accident there has been no counselling provided, adding that one woman, who witnessed the horrific accident and was supposed to have crossed the highway with the six, suffered a stroke as a result of not eating.
He said all residents have been hearing were promises made to pacify the people and that was not good enough.
"If they continue to treat us like fools we are going to act like fools, because when we act they say we acting foolish and this and that," Dopwell said.
In a telephone interview with the Express, Minister of Works Emmanuel George said instead of using traffic wardens, an electronic pedestrian crossing at Production Avenue was placed.
He added that this was not an alternative to the walkover as plans are still underway to construct one, adding that he knew nothing of a bridge to be built in the area.
Public information officer of the Police Service ASP Joanne Archie, when contacted for an update on the investigation, said the matter is currently ongoing at a pace.
She added that with the public and the Police Complaints Authority (PCA) closely monitoring the investigation, there was no room for any cover-up or mistakes. She said statements from the survivors need to be collected and two of them are still hospitalised.
The two are Rampersad and Lalla. Rampersad's mother, Pearl James, said he is opening his eyes now. However, doctors at the high dependency unit, where both he and Lalla are warded, say that is just a reflex action.
She added that her son is not being properly cared for as he developed diaper rashes.
Lalla underwent surgery last week on her left arm, which was broken in the accident, and is due to have surgery again some time this week on her left leg, which was also broken.
Assing has been discharged from hospital.