Sunday, February 25, 2018

Search still on for suspect

Adesh Maharaj murder...

Two days after 22-year-old Adesh Maharaj was brutally beaten to death at his workplace in St Helena, police investigators are still searching for the main suspect. 

However, police sources told the Express yesterday their search is narrowing, and based on information they have recently received, they believe an arrest is imminent. 

An autopsy performed at the Forensic Science Centre in St James yesterday confirmed that Maharaj died as a result of complications associated with blunt force trauma. 

Speaking to the media yesterday, Maharaj’s sister Ishta said her brother was a kind and loving person, who did not deserve to die the way he did. 

“He was a very helpful person throughout his life, kind and loving and very family oriented. That was the kind of person he was. He lived life to the fullest, always playing about and liming and just having fun; he was all about having a good time and enjoying life. He never had any regrets, and he loved his friends and family, especially his parents and myself,” Ishta recalled.

She said her brother was in the construction field for three years. However, he had never told his family that he may have been receiving any threats or was involved in any altercations. 

“He never mentioned any such incidents to us... everything we heard about him getting into a fight and stuff like that, we heard from the media,” Ishta Maharaj noted.

Adesh Maharaj’s funeral takes place today at 2 p.m. at the Maharaj’s, Waterloo Road, Arouca home. 

Police reported that sometime between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. on Saturday, Maharaj was standing near a diesel tank on the compound of V&V Contracting Co Ltd, in St Helena, when he was approached by a group of men. 

It was said some of the men had water hoses in their hands, while one man held an axe handle. The group exchanged words with Maharaj, following which at least one individual attacked him. 

Maharaj was beaten severely about the body, receiving injuries to his head, chest and back. 

Several employees on the compound witnessed the altercation and raised an alarm, which caused the attack on Maharaj to stop. 

Two employees then placed the wounded man into the tray of a van on the compound and rushed him to Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, in Mt Hope, where he was treated. 

However, shortly after midday, despite the efforts of doctors on call, Maharaj succumbed to his injuries.

Cpl Mohammed is continuing investigations.