Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Senior officers: Cops warned killer in visit

Tobago murder/suicide

Senior police officers in Tobago have refuted claims that Old Grange police officers did not respond in a timely manner to reports of threats made against the life of 36-year-old Burlinda Solomon-Sobers by her former lover, 55-year-old Daniel Benjamin.

Benjamin chopped Solomon-Sobers to death and then died after ingesting a poisonous substance on Tuesday.

Officers, who declined to be named, told the Express yesterday that investigations to date reveal officers did in fact visit Benjamin last Saturday and requested that he desist from threatening Sobers as several complaints had been made by her.

"It will now be up to the station diary extracts to confirm that reports were made and a visit to Benjamin was carried out," officers said.

On Wednesday  Acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams, speaking at the police media conference, said he will probe the claims made by family members and friends that Old Grange police officials were negligent in the matter.

Meanwhile, family members and friends remain shocked over the matter.

Father of Burlinda Solomon-Sobers, Fitzroy George, who is visiting from England, said it is a sad time for the family.

George, originally from Signal Hill, Tobago, said Burlinda  was one of his four daughters, and he would miss her dearly.

"I have been hearing the reports from relatives and friends that the police did not warn the assailant in the matter, Daniel Benjamin. These cases must not be taken for a joke. If someone is threatened, it should not be taken lightly," George said.

"It hurts; despite everything, she was my daughter, and 90 per cent of the time when someone is threatened, they are killed eventually. This is known worldwide. I am so sorry for my grandchildren," George said.

The 13-year-old daughter of the murdered woman remains hospitalised at the Scarborough Regional Hospital in a stable condition. She tried to protect her mother during the chopping and sustained injuries.

The distraught father said counselling will have to be sought for his grandchildren as they weep every day for their mother.

"We will be having a family meeting to determine the way forward on the matter," he concluded.

Meanwhile, an autopsy conducted on the body of Sobers at the Scarborough Mortuary yesterday  by Dr Easlyn McDonald- Burris revealed the mother of three died as a result of multiple chop wounds to the head and body.

An autopsy on the body of Benjamin revealed he died as a result of suspected ingestion of a toxic substance. A toxicology report is to be con- ducted on the matter to confirm the findings.

Corporal Camille Ramsey of the Scarborough Homicide Bureau is spearheading investigations.