Tools

Shot in head, body found in Laventille

By Joel Julien joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com

FIVE murders have been recoded over the second weekend of the year.

The murder toll for the year so far now stands at 12, according to an Express tally.

The latest victim was discovered by officers of the Inter Agency Task Force yesterday while they were on patrol in the Laventille area.

According to police reports, officers were in patrol at Eastern Quarry, Laventille, around 3 a.m. yesterday, when they discovered the body of a man a short distance away from the tamarind tree located just off the Eastern Main Road.

The man was found in a pool of blood, with gunshot wounds to his head, chest and arm. He remained unidentified up to press time.

Also yesterday, a ten-year-old schoolboy was taken to the Port of Spain General Hospital after being shot twice in the leg.

According to police reports, Jamal Dillon sustained gunshot wounds around 12.30 p.m. yesterday along Nelson Street in Port of Spain.

Four murders were recorded in 11 hours on Saturday.

Around 5 a.m. on Saturday Mark "Teets" Joseph, 26, was shot dead inside his Mahogany Drive apartment at Malabar in Arima.

Kerron Decarreau, 22, also of Mahogany Drive, was shot standing outside his home a short while after. Police believe Joseph and Decarreau were killed as a reprisal for the murder of Jeremy James, 22, last Thursday.

In a separate incident, Marvin Harewood, 31, was shot dead outside his Riverside Drive, La Puerta, Diego Martin, home around 5 a.m. on Saturday.

Harewood's girlfriend was also shot during the incident.

The fourth of the victims to be killed in the 11-hour timeframe was 24-year-old Kevin Brown.

Brown and Lance Corporal Che Markie Jackman were standing near a shop located between Second and Third Streets, Beetham Gardens, when they were ambushed by two gunmen around 3.30 p.m. on Saturday.

Deputy Police Commissioner Mervyn Richardson said despite 12 murders being committed in 13 days, the murder toll this year will not be allowed "to get out of hand".

"Regrettably, that has been the case (five murders) for the last 48 hours, but again we are resolved to dealing with this situation. We will not let it get out of hand," he said.

"Whatever is the situation we are saying it is unacceptable. We cannot and will not tolerate persons taking the law into their own hands. We will deal with it in a robust manner, fullstop. That is what we intend to do," he said.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you think another attempted coup is possible in Trinidad & Tobago?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather