A 65-YEAR-old San Fernando businessman died after he was stung by a swarm of bees in Mayaro on Wednesday.
Clement Madhosingh, of Arch Street, Vistabella, died at the Mayaro Health Facility while receiving medical treatment.
His wife, Shaffina Madhosingh, and daughter, Tessa Madhosingh, said he went with two persons, Sherlan Sookdeo, and another man, to the family’s beach house at Mafeking Village, to do repairs.
The wife said: “We have a house there and he went with these two fellas to carry out maintenance work. They went to a garden nearby to pick mangoes and they were walking in a track. There was a coconut tree and he moved a branch to pass, and there were bees behind it”.
Tessa Madhosingh said: “We heard it was a lot of bees, maybe hundreds of “black tattoo” bees. A lot were on top of their heads. Sherlan ran out of the track first, and when he turned around he saw him (Madhosingh) on the ground and he picked him up and took him into the van.”
The family were told that Madhosingh was responsive while being taken to the health facility.
Sookdeo and the other man were treated and discharged from hospital.
Shaffina Madhosingh said: “He was a very helpful and kind person. Those mangoes I am sure he would have given them away. I think he didn’t survive because he was a diabetic.” The wife said he suffered from diabetes for 20 years.
She said, “He loved Mayaro with a passion. He was a good husband, he worked hard and was a good provider. He used to help everyone.”
Madhosingh was the owner of Southern Car Rentals. He was the father of two, and the grandfather of two.
An autopsy conducted on his body at the Forensic Sciences Centre found that he died of cardiac arrest as a result of the stings.