Thursday, February 22, 2018

State witness among three murdered in east Trinidad

THREE men were murdered in separate incidents in east Trinidad on Friday night.

Police said one of the victims was a State witness in a murder trial.

As a result the country’s murder toll stood at 270 up to last night. The murder toll at the same time last year was 242.

The first murder occurred at 6.30 on Friday evening in Sangre Grande.

Police said Nicholas Imortep, 36, was washing his car along Guy Street, Sangre Grande, when he was approached by a man who opened fire.

Residents who heard the gunshots ran out and found Imortep lying next to his car with several gunshot wounds about his body.

Sangre Grande police arrived on the scene but Imortep was already dead. 

His body was later moved to the Port of Spain Mortuary.

The second murder was that of a man from Maracas Valley.

Police said that around 9 p.m. residents of Wharf Trace, Maracas Valley, St Joseph, heard several gunshots in their neighbourhood.

When some of them walked outside they saw the body of 35-year-old Yohan Mohammed lying dead on the road.

The St Joseph police were called and a team of officers led by Sgt Katwaroo along with PCs Jeauville and Ramkissoon visited the scene where they conducted enquiries. 

The Sunday Express was told by police that Mohammed was shot 15 times but no one could say up to last night why he had been shot.

His body was moved to the Port of Spain Mortuary and a post-mortem is expected to be done tomorrow.

The third victim was that of the State witness.

Police said the victim, Garner Swan, 38, of Second Hill, Kandahar, Arouca, was liming with friends near his home around 9 p.m. when he was attacked.

When the Sunday Express visited the area yesterday some residents claimed to have known the victim but denied knowing why he was shot dead.

The police, however, said that around 9 p.m. he was approached by two men, one of whom opened fire, hitting Swan several times, including two gunshots to his back, one to his neck and another to the chest.

Police said one of the residents took him to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The Sunday Express visited Swan’s home but was told by a middle-aged man: “We have no comment here.”

The Homicide Bureau (Region 2) which is based at the Arouca Police Station said they could not divulge any information with regard to whose murder Swan may have witnessed.

The police said their investigations have not yet determined if Swan was killed because he was a State witness.

Swan’s body is also expected to be examined tomorrow at the Forensic Science Centre.