Tools

Suruj getting tough with garbage contractors

Ministry to launch public poll in January

LOCAL Government Minister Dr Suruj Rambachan said yesterday his ministry will no longer accept excuses from private contractors assigned to collect garbage throughout Trinidad and Tobago.

In January, a poll is expected to be done throughout the country, in a bid to determine if the public is satisfied with garbage-collection services.

Speaking to the Sunday Express, Rambachan said he was on a fact-finding mission in Penal yesterday afternoon to determine the quality of garbage-collection services in that community.

He said he was paying close attention to the situation in west Trinidad, following a multitude of complaints from homeowners from Diego Martin to Westmoorings to Carenage, who experienced a garbage pile-up when refuse was not collected over the Christmas holidays.

He said, "Contractors continue to clean up, and they should be completed by the weekend."

His ministry, along with the Solid Waste Management Company Ltd (SWMCOL), was attempting to put in place a new protocol for garbage collection when there is a holiday.

He added he has since set up a committee between SWMCOL and his ministry, and he had been inviting representatives of the garbage collection contractors to have meetings with them in a bid to spell out the ministry's performance criteria, "so they will know the level of performance expected of them".

Rambachan added the new performance criteria will be built into their new contracts, which are expected to be awarded in March 2013 with final evaluations done by SWMCOL.

—GG

Let us know your thoughts
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you agree with US President Barack Obama's decision that it's time to restore diplomatic relations with Cuba?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather