Sunday, February 25, 2018

Suspect running from cops killed by unknown gunman


murdered: Richard Phillip

Mark Fraser

Fifty-two-year-old Richard Phillip ran into a track along lower Dibe Road, Long Circular, in an attempt to hide from a party of Western Division officers who were seeking him in relation to enquiries into criminal activities. 

Instead of finding a safe refuge, Phillip encountered an unknown party who shot him several times, killing him on the spot. 

According to police reports, a party of Western Division officers went in search for Phillip aka “Parrot” aka “Sparrow” around 4:30 p.m. on Thursday. 

However, Phillip got wind that he was being sought, and some time that evening he went into a track off Dibe Road to hide from the lawmen. 

Around 7:30 p.m., residents of the area heard several loud explosions, and police received a report that a body was seen lying on the ground in a pool of blood. 

A party of officers led by ASP Thomas responded and they found Phillip dead on the roadway. 

The area was cordoned off and a district medical officer as well as officers from the Homicide Bureau of Investigations were contacted.

Crime scene investigators recovered several spent shells from the scene. 

At the Forensic Science Centre in St James yesterday, Phillip’s family acknowledged that the 52-year-old man was “not a saint” and that he had previous encounters with the law. However, they said he was always a “kind and loving person”. 

“Even though what he did was wrong, when he robbed people and thing, he never raped anyone and never killed anyone. He wasn’t a saint but he was a loving man who was loved by all who knew him. He was only killed because there was a reward out for him,” a female relative explained. 

Phillip was highlighted this week on TV6’s Beyond the Tape programme hosted by Insp Roger Alexander. 

He was said to be wanted in connection with a series of robberies, and there was even said to be CCTV footage which captured him as he broke into homes. 

In an unrelated incident, police are also investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a fisherman who was killed in Malabar on Thursday evening. 

According to police reports, Kelvin “Fireman” Chapman, 29, from Maloney Drive, Malabar, was at home when around 4:30 p.m. he ventured outside for reasons unknown. 

Residents of the area reported hearing several loud explosions and upon investigating they found Chapman lying in a pool of blood on the ground. 

He was rushed to the Arima District Health Facility where he died while undergoing treatment. 

The police were notified and a party of officers from the Northern Division and the Homicide Bureau of Investigation visited the scene.

Nine spent shells were recovered, police said. 

At the Forensic Science Centre yesterday, Chapman’s relatives said they could not understand why anyone would want the 29-year-old man dead. 

They explained that Chapman was a kind and loving man who worked on a trawler to provide for his family. 

Investigations into both killings are continuing.

The murder toll currently stands at 264 with these two killings.