Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Suspect arrested in teenager's 'tape' rape

OFFICERS of the North Eastern Division Task Force yesterday arrested an 18-year-old Morvant man, one of three people being sought in connection with the rape of a 13-year-old girl who is a special needs case.

The incident, which occurred at a house in Never Dirty, Morvant, was aired on Ian Alleyne's Crime Watch programme on TV6.

Around 4.50 p.m. yesterday, Task Force officers led by Insp Ramlogan, Sgt Roger Alexander and Cpl Sunil Barath, acting on information, held the suspect just off the Lady Young Road in Morvant.

The man, police said, lived at Woods Alley, Never Dirty, Morvant. He was spotted liming near a track yesterday by a resident who recognised his face from the video clip, and notified the police.

Up to late yesterday, Task Force officers were conducting searches in the Central Division for another suspect, while it is believed the third suspect may have fled to St Vincent when the clip was first aired.

In a statement yesterday, the Rape Crisis Society of Trinidad and Tobago condemned the airing of the video clip.

The release stated: "Although the child's face was only partially visible, she could easily be identified by anyone who knows her.'

The release further stated, "The airing of the video can be perceived as the exploitation of a rape victim to gain television ratings.

"The legality of the showing of a minor in these circumstances is a call for the Attorney General," the society said.

Cheryl Johnson, Communication, Public Relations and Consumer Affairs manager of the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT), said yesterday that TATT had received several reports from members of the public, through various channels.

"We have viewed the video which we captured using our broadcast monitoring system. The matter is being investigated...As part of our investigation, we have contacted CCN TV6 on the matter," she said.

Contacted yesterday, TV6 Head of News, Dominic Kalipersad, said the television station was awaiting TATT's determination on the matter.